I got an email from a lady at one of our supporting churches in Texas who is preparing a booklet for young men who desire to be missionaries. She wanted me to send her some advice for them to include in the booklet, so here is the advice that I gave them. Let me know what you think in the comments section.
- The will of God is not so much a place or an event but rather a daily obedience to the Word of God. People sometimes may the will of God so intangible and emotional that it becomes hard to define. Don’t make it more than it is. Seek the Lord in His Word every day, surrender your heart to the Lord, be willing to do whatever He asks you to do, and he will direct you. Ps 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
- Fall in love with the Lord and He will give you His desires. God will change your desires and give you what you should want. Ps 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
- Study about the world. Learn as much as you can about world geography, where missionaries are and aren’t, where the areas of greatest need are. Write missionaries in the country were you are going. Learn as much as you can. Be careful to not lock God in a box about the where. Just stay open to the Lord’s leading and let Him open doors and lead you each step of the way.
- Take a mission trip. Let me encourage you to visit the mission field. Speak to your pastor and let him help you prepare, but visiting the mission field and even living on the mission field for an extended period of time with a good missionary prior to actually going yourself will be invaluable.
- Learn as much as you can in your home church. Spend time with your pastor and teachers. Learn all you can. Ask them questions. Get around other men of God. It is caught more than taught.
- Be faithful in the little things so that God will bless you with more opportunity. Be faithful to church. Get there early. Listen and take notes in church. Invite your friends. Help clean up the church. Pray for your pastor. Read your Bible every day. Go on visitation and soul-winning. Serve in the church. Get as much experience as you can. Win souls and disciple others. Lu 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.