“It is a serious mistake for Christians in positions of leadership to be more concerned with what is currently popular in the corporate world than with what our Lord taught about leadership.” This is one of many great quotes from John MacArthur’s book The Book on Leadership: The Power of Godly Influence.
In the book, MacArthur asserts the idea that it is easy for Christians to take all their leadership wisdom from the corporate and secular world. But as Christ taught, we have a different perspective and different priorities. The Christian leader is a servant not a lord.
In this very helpful book, MacArthur examines the life and leadership skills of the Apostle Paul, who certainly exemplified God’s leadership. Through examining Paul on the ship to Rome, the book of 2 Corinthians, and several other passages, the author brings out 26 characteristics of a true leader (listed below).
I found the book very helpful and easy to read. I am familiar with the Apostle Paul and his life, but it was good to study his life from a leadership perspective. I would highly recommend this book to all Christians and think it would make a great Bible class on leadership as the principles are taking directly from the Scripture.
TWENTY-SIX CHARACTERISTICS OF A TRUE LEADER
1. A LEADER IS TRUSTWORTHY.
2. A LEADER TAKES THE INITIATIVE.
3. A LEADER USES GOOD JUDGEMENT.
4. A LEADER SPEAKS WITH AUTHORITY.
5. A LEADER STRENGTHENS OTHERS.
6. A LEADER IS OPTIMISTIC AND ENTHUSIASTIC.
7. A LEADER NEVER COMPROMISES THE ABSOLUTES.
8. A LEADER FOCUSES ON OBJECTIVES, NOT OBSTACLES.
9. A LEADER EMPOWERS BY EXAMPLE.
10. A LEADER CULTIVATES LOYALTY.
11. A LEADER HAS EMPATHY FOR OTHERS.
12. A LEADER KEEPS A CLEAR CONSCIENCE.
13. A LEADER IS DEFINITE AND DECISIVE.
14. A LEADER KNOWS WHEN TO CHANGE HIS MIND.
15. A LEADER DOES NOT ABUSE HIS AUTHORITY.
16. A LEADER DOESN’T ABDICATE HIS ROLE IN THE FACE OF OPPOSITION.
17. A LEADER IS SURE OF HIS CALLING.
18. A LEADER KNOWS HIS OWN LIMITATIONS.
19. A LEADER IS RESILIENT.
20. A LEADER IS PASSIONATE.
21. A LEADER IS COURAGEOUS.
22. A LEADER IS DISCERNING.
23. A LEADER IS DISCIPLINED.
24. A LEADER IS ENERGETIC.
25. A LEADER KNOWS HOW TO DELEGATE.
26. A LEADER IS CHRISTLIKE.