Oswald J Smith was a Canadian pastor and evangelist who lived from 1889 until 1986. At an early age, he desired to be a missionary. However, he was turned down by mission agencies due to poor health, which plagued him his entire life.
Undeterred by his inability to be a missionary, he did all he could to raise up missionaries and send them out. Through his ministry, hundreds surrendered to go to the mission field. In addition, he helped to raise as much as $14,000,000 for the cause of world missions.
In the following video, you hear some of Dr. Smith’s passion for world evangelism. May God stir our hearts for world evangelism, which is truly the heartbeat of God.
Quotations allegedly from Oswald Smith:
- You must go or send a substitute.
- If God wills the evangelization of the world, and you refuse to support missions, then you are opposed to the will of God.
- Why should anyone hear the Gospel twice before everyone has heard it once?
- Give according to your income lest God make your income according to your giving.
- The church which ceases to be evangelistic will soon cease to be evangelical.
- This generation can only reach this generation.
- The light that shines farthest shines brightest nearest home.
- Not how much of my money will I give to God, but, how much of God’s money will I keep for myself.
- The supreme task of the Church is the evangelization of the world.