One of the most thorough books on church planting I have ever read is Aubrey Malphurs book Planting Growing Churches.
Reasons why I like his book:
- It gives a comprehensive look at the church planting process from the preparation stage to the reproduction stage of another church.
- It has a good balance of general principles that could apply to all church-plants and specific applications that help to explain how these principles are lived out.
- It places a big emphasis on preparation and character which are essential for the sustained growth and maturity of the church plant.
- It looks at ways to grow and mature the launched church.
- The goal of church planting is not just to get big but to plant other churches.
- There is a wealth of material in the 150 pages of appendixes to help with specific aspects of church-planting.
If you are a pastor, a church-planter, or the member of a church, you need to read this book and ask God what He would have you do to help churches grow, mature, and reproduce!
Read more book reviews at bcwe.org.