“And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.” — Mark 1:7
John’s confession about Jesus’ might and worth is seen in every aspect of His life and wonderfully illustrated in Mark 1. Here we see a man whose ministry is the model for every servant of the Lord:
- He was appointed and approved by God (v.11).
- He was filled with the Spirit (v.10).
- He was tested and endured temptation (v.12-13).
- He preached the Word of God and called men to repent and believe (v.14-15).
- He looked for men to train who would train others (v.16-20).
- He taught doctrine with the authority of God (v.21-22).
- He was able to face and be victorious over spiritual opposition (v.23-28).
- He prioritised time with God even when things were very busy and all men sought for him (v.35-37).
- He worked to get the gospel to everyone (v.38).
- He was compassionate (v.41).
What an example and what a challenge! May the Lord help me to follow His example and grow in all these ways.