‘Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,’ — 2 Peter 3:11
Despite those who scoff, the return of Christ and the destruction of heaven and earth are realities that are clearly taught by the prophets and the apostles. Just as men mocked Noah for his dire predictions of global judgment that took years to fulfil, so men mock that Word of God today. Yet, the flood did come and so will the fire.
The only reason that the Lord has not come back yet is His desire that more people be saved. He doesn’t want anyone to perish. He wants all to come to repentance (v.9).
With these truths in mind, we should
- Live holy and godly lives (v.11).
- Eagerly anticipate Christ’s return (v.12).
- Be diligent to be found in peace, without spot and blameless (v.14).
- Realise that the Lord is longsuffering because He wants more to be saved (v.15).
- Beware of being led astray (v.17).
- Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ (v.17-18).