“By mercy and truth iniquity is purged:And by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.” – Proverbs 16:6
The ‘fear of the Lord’ is a common theme in the book of Proverbs. It is mentioned 16 times. It is the idea of great respect for and obedience to God. According to Proverbs, it is a very important for the following reasons:
- It is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom (1:7, 9:10). It is the heart of all wisdom and instruction and only a fool would despise it.
- Those who do not choose to fear the Lord, hate knowledge and will suffer great punishment (1:29).
- It is central to man’s search for wisdom. Those who fear the Lord and come to know God are on the path to wisdom (2:5).
- It means hatred of evil, pride, arrogancy, the evil way and the froward mouth (8:13, 16:6). The more we love God, the more we will hate what He hates.
- It prolongs our days (10:27).
- It gives strong confidence and a place of refuge. It is a fountain of life that keeps from the snares of death (14:26-27).
- It is better than great treasure (15:16).
- It tends to life and satisfies (19:23).
- In the long run, it brings riches, honour, and life (22:4).
- It is something that should impact how we live each day – ‘be thou in the fear of the Lord all day long’ (23:17). It will cause us to walk in uprightness (14:2).
- It will bring praise to the woman who fears the Lord (31:30).
So, the main focus of our lives should be to live in such a way that we are acknowledging God and pleasing Him. If we make this the main goal of our lives, it will help us in every other area.