“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.” — John 16:7
It was very difficult for the disciples to deal with the departure of Jesus. Sorrow had filled their hearts (v.6). But, as hard as that must have been for them, Jesus said that it was actually better for them (“expedient for you”) that He leave. Why was that? Because the Comforter, God’s Holy Spirit, would not come and indwell them until Jesus left.
So, why is the Holy Spirit better for us than the physical presence of Jesus? Notice several amazing things the Holy Spirit does in the lives of believers and in this world:
- 14:16 He abides with us for ever.
- 14:17 He dwells with us and is in us.
- 14:18 He comforts us.
- 14:26 He teaches us all things and brings the Word of God to our remembrance.
- 15:26 He testifies of Jesus.
- 15:27 He empower us to witness of Jesus (see Acts 1:8).
- 16:8-11 He reproves (convicts) the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment.
- 16:12-13 He guides us into all truth.
- 16:13 He shows us things to come.
- 16:14 He glorifies Jesus.
Truly, the Holy Spirit has an amazing ministry in this world for Jesus and an amazing ministry to us. No wonder, Jesus called Him the comforter. It is such a comfort to know that God is with us, that He will never leave us, that He is empowering us, guiding us, teaching us, and working in our world.
May we minister in His power and wisdom today for the honour and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.