I started a short book of 117 pages a long time ago and just finished it today at lunch. It is a book that I got at a Businessmen Committed to World Evangelism luncheon several years ago, written by S. Truett Cathy called “It is Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men”.
Though a short book, it is brimming over with heart-stirring stories and powerful quotes. Let me give you just a few quotes:
- Every child I know who overcame long odds and grew into a responsible adult can point to an adult who stepped into his or her life as a friend, a mentor, and a guide.
- [Children] don’t need an adult – especially a parent- to be another buddy. They need someone they can look up to with respect.
- One of the best ways to teach children respect for authority is to model our own adherence to the chain of command.
- How do you know when a child needs encouragement? If he or she is breathing.
- There’s no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.
- Giving is a muscle. To be strong, you have to exercie it and grow as a person. – Charlie Jones
- You can’t really enjoy anything without sharing it. – Charlie Jones
- Don’t waste time looking for a better job. Do a better job and you’ll have a better job. – Charlie Jones