I was reading my Bible today in Joshua about Achan and how his sin, though secret, was exposed and had serious consequences. I hope this series of lessons on “Secret Sin” will challenge us examine our hearts for secret sins and confess them to God.
In Joshua 7, Israel had just won a great victory at Jericho. The walls fell down. Rahab was delivered, and Joshua’s fame is noised throughout all the country.
“But” there was sin in the camp. After a great victory is often when the Devil will try his hardest to tempt us. In the midst of a great victory, Satan can put the seed of sin that will destroy You.
The Lure of Secret Sin
- Secret sin allows us to sin and no one will know. (7:2)
- Israel went up like nothing had happened. (2-3)
- The Bible tells us that Achan saw it, took it and hid it. (7:21)
- Seeing it was not wrong.
- Coveting it was wrong.
- Covetousness led to taking.
- Our sinful thoughts will eventually lead to sinful actions.
- Secreit sin makes the false claim that it can be hid. (7:11)
- Achan brought sin into his home.
- He brought the cursed thing home.
- It would be a curse that would destroy his family.
- The thing that he thought would bring him so much pleasure would be the cause of great suffering and destruction.
- Secret sins are made sweet by the lies of Satan and the nature of the sin. (Proverbs 9:17-18, Prov 20:17)
- The Devil tells us that it is just a robe, 200 shekels of silver, a wedge of gold (50 shekels). Not much. Not a lot. Go ahead. No one will know. Nothing in comparison to all that is there.
- He will say, “You have served God and followed God. You have given a lot. You deserve a little bit of pleasure and enjoyment.”