‘And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not…’ — Revelation 12:7–8
Ever since God created the first man and women, a war has been going on between God and Satan. That war continues into the end times.
We see Satan described in the following ways in Revalation 12:
- A great red dragon with seven heads, ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads (v.3)
- Having a tail that drew the third part of the stars of heaven (v.4)
- Wanting to devour Israel’s (the woman) child (v.5)
- Fighting against Michael and his angels (v.7)
- The old serpent, the Devil, and Satan which deceiveth the whole world (v.9)
- The accuser of our brethren (v.10)
- Persecuting the people of Israel (v.13,15)
- Wroth with Israel (‘the woman’) and making war with the remnant of her seed which keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ (v.17)
This chapter shows us that there is a deadly war that is going on and will go on between the people of God and the enemies of God. Because Satan cannot defeat God, He will do everything in His power to attack those who follow and serve Him.
The good news is that he will not prevail (v.8). He will be kicked out of heaven and he will be be cast down through the salvation, strength, kingdom, and power of Christ (v.9-10). The angels of God defeat Satan. Christ defeats Satan. And the followers of God will and can overcome Satan by the blood of the Lamb, the word of our testimony, and our willingness to die for Christ (v.11).
The devil knows his time is short. So he will fight with everything that is in him, but he will not prevail. Our God will win! And we who trust in the Lord will overcome as well!