“Then said the prophet Jeremiah unto Hananiah the prophet, Hear now, Hananiah; The Lord hath not sentJeremiah 28:15
thee;but thou makest this peopleto trust in a lie.“
God’s message to the people through Jeremiah was directly oppossed by Hananiah. He told the people that they would be delivered by the Lord in two years. He said that the yoke Jeremiah made would be broken. He claimed to speak on behalf of the Lord as well.
Jeremiah did not try to argue with him. He just pointed him to the words of the other prophets and he said that time would tell who the true prophet was. He said that because Hannah made the people trust in a lie that he would die. And a few months later he did.
- God’s truth will often be undermined by Satan’s lies.
- The lies of Satan are often dressed up in religious languages and taught by those who claim to be from God.
- God’s people must use care and discernment to know what is truth and what is a lie.
- Those who carefully search God’s Word will know the true.
- False prophets will be judged harshly by God.
What lies are you trusting in? Are you carefully evaluating those who claim to ‘speak for God’?
May God give us wisdom to discern what He really wants us to know and courage to trust His Word even when it is unpopular to do so.