Pastor Martin Wickens sent me a link to this article containing recent statistics about church attendance in the UK. Here are a few of them for you to think over and pray about:
Overall Decline in Church Attendance
- Out of a total population of 62 million people in the UK:
- 5.5 million are church members (i.e. people who say they are definitely attached to a Christian church, equivalent to 9% of the population)
- 3.6 million attend church on an average Sunday (6% of the population).
- In the last ten years, there are now:
- 400 fewer churches (-1%)
- 950 more ministers (+2%)
- 400,000 fewer church members (-6%)
- 800,000 fewer attendees (-18%).
- 39% of churches have no-one attending under 11 years of age
- 49% of churches have no-one attending between the ages of 11 and 14
- 59% of churches have no-one attending between the ages of 15 and 19.
- There has been a 90% decline in the numbers of young people under 20 attending church over the last 20 years.